Head of Tech Operations
Tech - London
At Byte we build emerging technologies including AR, chatbots, and automation to deliver significant business results for clients. The Head of Tech Operations will report into the Director of Technology, and line manage non-technical members of the team. They will lead on all the technical work we deliver for clients and they sit in our structure alongside the other ‘Heads of…’ (e.g. Media, Creative).
This person will oversee the management and growth of the tech team, from line managing Tech Planners (hybrid project/product managers), to recruiting a flexible workforce, and introducing new and improved project planning processes. This role will also be responsible for the project implementation of our security accreditation (supported by experts), and resource allocation.
Senior experience in project management, product management or digital account management might suit this role, but we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Candidates must have experience managing teams and complex technical project management. They must be calm and controlled in high pressure situations. Equally, experience with delivering technical and commercial success in an agency model is important.
We specialise in emerging technology including AR, chatbots and automation, so any experience in this area would be particularly beneficial.
- Manage and grow the tech team; providing support, direction, performance management, and personal development to tech planners
- Oversee all tech team management and resource allocation to ensure strong talent retention
- Recruitment (flexible workforce & freelancer, short term and full time)
- Working with Director of Technology to develop and deliver 2021 tech team plan inc. business cases, budget forecasts, and training plans for the team
- This role also has responsibility to oversee the two-year security roadmap, including ISO27001 accreditation (working with external security consultant) & ongoing governance, acting as primary Information Security Manager
- Ensure program/project risks are evaluated, documented, mitigated where possible and escalated when necessary
- Accountable for end-to-end planning and delivery of multiple client and R&D projects; ensuring detailed project plans with clear milestones, requirements and deliverables, delivering work on time, and within budget
- Lead and write and negotiate scope, schedule, budget, risks, deployments and support Account Planners with their client handling around this
- Improve and introduce excellent processes combining scrum, agile, waterfall, facilitate estimation and prioritisation to handle multiple conflicting requirements, and ensuring technical and nontechnical team members meet them (e.g. documentation)
- Regular review of project schedule, identify and anticipate barriers, remove internal and external obstacles
- Use data, wash-ups and prior experience to continually improve team’s processes
SKILLS AND PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
Our offering is advanced for the industry, and we rely on great people.
To be considered for this role, you will need the skills or experience outlined below.
- 6+ years experience in a similar role
- Prior experience managing a team, able to inspire and motivate individuals
- Extensive experience in digital / tech project management at a senior level
- Extremely organised, and capable of organising others (+8 people)
- Co-ordinated cross-disciplinary teams
- Delivered technical projects over £150,000
- Implemented new processes, based on data and observations
- Experience working in a marketing or digital agency
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills combined with the ability to lead group discussions and explain complex solutions
Nice to have
- Experience developing chatbots, AR and automation
To complement the team dynamic:
- Sense of humour
- Easily bored
- No ego
- Extremely motivated
- Adaptable and thrives with variety and change
- Reliable and dependable
- Inquisitive mindset
- Honest and trustworthy
- Learns quickly
- Persistent and hard-working
- Open to criticism and ideas
- Clear communicator